20080619

Rating Scale

One of my supervisors came in to check on how I was doing. Given the fact that we are two month out from the actual start of the project, I gave him the obligatory "fine." He asked if I had any questions about what I was going over, so I pointed to the Shinigami file I just finished reviewing and asked about the rating system.

Basically, what he told me was this: The rating system is a 20 point system that determines how approachable or dangerous the creature is. The higher the number in either category, the more difficult it may be to observe them.

In L's case, because the Danger Level rating was 17, anyone observing a Shinigami should do so with extreme caution. Which he didn't, as I found out. My supervisor pulled out a page from L's notebook and pointed out how dangerously close L got to the Shinigami's young, which he believes contributed to L's ultimate death. It's a strong assumption to make, as he admitted, but the evidence was right there in the file.

On the other end of the spectrum, if someone came across a creature with a high Social Ability rating, they would have difficulty observing that creature due to its natural curiosity and potential interest in humans as a new creature to their environment. This would lead some observers to adopt a Jane Goodall approach to the situation, often interacting with the creature in ways that don't necessarily result in an "accurate observation of natural habits." His words, not mine.

When I asked how these ratings are determined, he simply told me that I'll be informed on that process when I discover a new creature.

~Zeek Slider