20080619

Kaihang

Diet: Carnivore
Danger Level: 10
Social Ability: 11

Observation: There are only a few notations in the file as to the true nature of this creature, but the first thing I read is that it is extremely tall. Unfortunately, the person reporting this creature was Dr. Inglis. It appears that the stories I’ve heard about him using flowery language in his observations are true. He describes the creature as a towering dragon-like beast "who is as tall as this planet is vast and mystical." He also keeps using the word "epic" over and over when describing how it moves and how it sings.

If we were to remove the poetic language of Inglis, it is clear that this creature is very tall and, possibly, very large. Its scale helps it generate a very deep vocal range which it uses for courting a mate and possibly for its own entertainment. It also has only one foot and a leg configuration that allows it to spring board in any direction. It can turn in one spot as graceful as a dancer, to paraphrase Inglis.

What is interesting to me is the fact that it has seven shield-like discs on its body at various points. Inglis was one of the few fortunate enough to see a corpse of this creature while on his field study and has indicated in his diagrams that the two on the back are the most important to this creature. The lower of the two protects and houses the heart, while the upper is an exposed skull cap with direct access to the brain cavity.

What limited knowledge I know about the evolutionary process, I would imagine that these two points on this creature’s body were constantly being attacked by predators. Possibly avian in nature since I seriously doubt anything on its planet that is a ground creature could reach it. When a generation evolved the other five false targets, the longevity of this creature increased. And because this was the design that gave it an advantage, Mother Nature let it keep it.

Oh, goodness! I think Inglis’s flowery language is starting to affect how I’m writing this entry. I best take a break before I end up using metaphors and synonyms that would make my old English teacher hang her head in shame and laughter.

~Zeek Slider